Monday, March 14, 2011

Happy Pi Day!

We had our monthly prenatal checkup this morning with Hampshire OB. This time we met Dr. Laughingwell, who is the newest doctor in the practice. He was younger than Dr. Sprong, (the first doctor we met) maybe in his mid-thirties, calm and knowledgeable, though without much personality. But we did like him, and he gladly answered our questions and listened to the babies' heartbeats. Both girls still have strong heartbeats and it was reassuring to hear them. I haven't felt any kicks yet (at least not that I'm sure of), so sometimes I wonder if they are still alright in there.

So far I've gained a total of 8 pounds, which they said was normal, and my blood pressure, glucose levels and protein are good. I also got blood drawn, for an AFP test, which is one of the second trimester screening tests. For the first time that I can remember, I didn't turn away when they stuck the needle in my arm. It wasn't actually on purpose that I looked, I just forgot to look away. I'm so much braver about needles than I used to be!

Dr. Laughingwell also told me that it really is fine to sleep on my back if it's comfortable, despite what all the books say (absolutely DON'T lie on your back after 16 weeks!). He said that the main idea is to not stay in any one position for hours at a time.

On Saturday, Brett and I took our second tandem ride of the season! Our first stop was the entrance to the bike path on Bates St., to help the Snow Squad clear the snow and ice off of the path, making it passable for cyclists from Bates Street to Damon Road. This section is a part of Brett's daily commute, so we were very excited to be able to help get it clear!

Our second stop was the Winter Farmer's Market and then lunch at Local Burger before heading back home. Our total ride for today was 9 miles.

Outside the Farmer's Market, Brett closes up our bag full of carrots, potatoes, spinach, and fresh bread. Our bike was longer than usual today with two snow shovels strapped on the back!

3 comments:

  1. Brave Girl, Jenny, facing the needle. Oh, what we won't do for our children!
    I'm a bit envious of your head start with the biking season. Good work.
    Love and hugs,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been getting a lot of blood taken. Sometimes I look, sometimes I don't. I'm pretty much over it. The only part that hurts is when the bill comes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one ever told ME not to sleep on my back! They keep coming up with new rules! Jeesh! You know, when Austin was born we were told we absolutely MUST put our babies to sleep on their stomachs, for fear of choking on vomit but he preferred his back - so I just let him sleep that way. When Suzannah was born,less than two years later, they told me I MUST put her on her back to sleep for fear of SIDS, but she preferred her stomach! As much as I ignored all the doctor's advice it's amazing my kids made it to adulthood!

    ReplyDelete