Monday, March 21, 2011

Twins in my family!

Over the weekend, I was amazed to see all the little crocuses and green shoots poking up from the ground! Today it is snowing. Happy Spring!

On Saturday, Aunt Anne came to visit. She knows a lot about my family's genealogy and while she was here I found out that there is one known set of twins in my family history: my great, great uncles! Roy and Norman Goff, two of my Grandma Boas' mother's nine siblings, were fraternal twins. Apparently they did not look anything alike.

Thanks for coming to visit, Aunt Anne!

On Sunday, Brett and I went to a Meet the Doulas and Birth Professionals Day at Cradle in Northampton. It was a good experience, though very overwhelming. We walked around the small room which was set up with many different tables and we talked to each person. It was loud in the room with so many people talking at once, so we took a few breaks, and I even got a free 15 minute massage! While I was getting my massage, Brett signed me up for the raffle and when I came out, I had won! I chose a gift certificate for a free session of prenatal thai yoga bodywork, and though I'm not exactly sure what it is, it sounds interesting.

I think we learned a bunch about what doulas do, and Brett gathered lots of business cards. I'm glad we had the chance to meet many different doulas who work in this area. There wasn't anyone who we met that I felt completely comfortable with, but at least a few seemed very nice and I wouldn't mind talking to them again to get to know them better.

While we were there, I was reminded yet again how lucky I am to have such a supportive and caring husband. Brett really is amazing and I am so thankful to have him as a partner in my life.

The first crocus to come up in our front yard this weekend!

7 comments:

  1. I'm really glad you got to visit with Aunt Anne and learn about the Boas Family history. Were any of the doulas/midwives open to assisting with at home twin births? And how nice to win a thai yoga bodywork, whatever that is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost all of the doulas we met were open to helping with a home twin birth. Unfortunately, there weren't any midwives there to ask. We did get some leads on a couple people to call in the area, so we'll go from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, twins *are* in the family! That is so cool!
    Yay, for winning things, too! Glad you got to meet so many doulas. Do you think they have a meet midwives thing to?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though I am, of course, a little biased in supporting the appreciation of Brett, he also has a caring and amazing wife!
    Lots of new ideas to consider.
    Love and hugs,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jenny! We used Michelle L'Esperance as a doula and she is great. She's also a certified professional midwife. We loved her - very knowledgeable too. Even though we had an emergency c-section, it was invaluable having her there, because she mentally and spiritually guided us through the whole process, and so it ended up still being a wonderful birth even though it was via c-section. The whole process was super fast, but with her by our side we weren't scared, in fear, etc - we were able to just focus on our wonderful baby girl being born :) She was also great to have around after the birth to help assist me with breastfeeding, which I found to be especially challenging. If you want her contact info let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darleen,

    Michelle L'Esperance is one of the doulas who we met at Cradle last week. We liked her a lot! I'm glad to hear that you used her for your birth. We are thinking about going to a movement class she is teaching in Greenfield tomorrow, and we might set up a time to meet with her to ask more questions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny,
    Michelle is the one who is doing the Doula training I am doing all that reading for, and the woman who had the leads on homebirth midwives. I have only emailed with her but she seems pretty amazing!
    So much love to you!
    Cara

    ReplyDelete