Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Baybay & Baybee: Week 1

Ella and Maya are a week old today!

Here are the answers to a few of the top questions we've been asked:

How are the girls doing?

They are amazing! It's wonderful to see them just thriving. The first few days, while we were all still in the hospital were rough on them and on us, but ever since we came home on Sunday, everyone has relaxed. They are such beautiful, unique little beings. They hardly ever cry, they love to be cuddled, they love to be held while they sleep, and they take in the world when they are awake.

Maya Lilac was born at 7 lbs. 2 oz., while Ella Lily was born at 7 lbs. 9 oz. As usual for all newborns, and especially those delivered by c-section, they lost about a pound each in the first few days, but have since gained some of that back. At last weighing, they both weighed 6 lbs. 10 oz. and the doctors say they are very healthy.

How is the breastfeeding going?

It's going great! I am happy and proud to say that all three of us have taken to breastfeeding incredibly well. The very first time we tried feeding after they were born, they both latched on! After that, the first 4 days were very challenging while we were still in the hospital. We were all tired and trying our best, but it was hard with so many people coming and going and offering their opinions and stresses to the situation. On the other hand, we had some great help from lactation consultants and a few nurses. My milk came in on the 3rd day and feeding got easier after that. And coming home made us all so much more relaxed.

Both girls have good latches and I have mastered the football hold for feeding them at the same time. Once we are all hooked up, I am now even able to have my hands free to sip a cup of tea or eat some food! I am loving the time that I get to spend with them when we breastfeed. It is a lot right now and it certainly has its challenges, but I love looking at them, touching their soft heads while they feed and seeing such satisfied little faces when they are done.

How are *you* doing?

I am recovering from the c-section really well. I am able to move around fairly easily, though slower than normal, and I hardly have any pain. When I cough or laugh, my incision is sore and sometimes still stings, but I definitely notice an improvement with every day that passes. I feel lucky that I never had a lot of pain and that it was only ever necessary for me to take Motrin. I think that had I taken the Percocet that was recommended, I would not have healed as quickly. I've had almost no constipation or swelling. I feel very lucky and strong.

I have also dropped 32 pounds in a week, putting me less than 10 pounds away from my pre-pregnancy weight. That amazes me. I do need to make sure that I continue to eat enough food now that I am feeding two babies. I really notice a difference in my mood and energy level when I don't get enough food. My goal for this coming week is to eat as much as I can!

Are you getting any sleep?

Yes and no. Yes, we are getting some sleep, and and in some ways it's more than we were told to expect, especially with twins. And no, we would really like to get a little more sleep. The plan for that is to get better at taking a nap with them during the day. It can be really hard to do, because we have so many things we'd love to *do* around the house, or chores that call for doing, or guests to talk with. We'll get there, and we'll get more efficient at the night feedings, allowing us to get back to sleep more quickly.

What are you using for diapers?

We are using cloth diapers and have been ever since their second day of life. I didn't change a single diaper while we were in the hospital. Brett has been amazing. He was the one that took the initiative to start the cloth diapers on the second day and he has continued ever since. He still changes more than half the diapers.

We were given a bunch of diapers from several different sources, and Brett's mom bought us a bunch of prefolds (thanks, Kathy!). We're still trying out all the combinations and many different types of diapers and diaper covers, so we don't have any real endorsements yet, but we're definitely glad we're going with cloth.

One thing that my parents did while they were here that was really helpful was to replace our tiny bathroom pedestal sink with a deep laundry sink. It has been so helpful in rinsing diapers, washing baby tushes, and we're sure it will have more uses in the future (think baby baths!).

We LOVE our new sink! Thanks so much Mama and Papa!

And finally, the part many people have been clamoring for, here are a bunch of pictures from the week!

I got to snuggle with the babies moments after they were born.

This is one of my favorite pictures from the birth. Maya is trying to eat my cheek.

Ella with her Papa shortly after the birth. It's amazing how quickly Brett has taken to being a father. He is so gentle, kind, and patient with them. I feel very lucky that he is the person I'm raising a family with.

Kathy holds her first granddaughter for the first time.

Four days old and sleeping peacefully. Our last day in the hospital.

Outside for the first time and about to go home. It was raining. We were all tired, but SO glad to be outside and going home. The twins cried the whole way home. It felt like the longest 5 minutes of my life. I've never been so glad that we live so close to the hospital.

With Mama and Papa. It was wonderful to have them here for the birth. I am so thankful for my amazing parents.

Ella and Brett take a nap.

More napping!

Cozy and warm.

Snuggling with Daisy.

Sleeping soundly on Hannah.

Harvesting cucumbers and holding babies!

The babies loved cuddling with Steech and Bridget.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! for your blog! Yay! for all the pictures. Yay! for two wonderful babies and their two special parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! So glad to hear you're doing so well! Such a happy mama. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blog and the pictures and all the helpers. The Matilskys are all excited for you.

    ReplyDelete