Monday, August 27, 2012

Baybay & Baybee: Week 52 (8/1-8/7)

52 weeks old!

There were a bunch of visits with friends this week, but unfortunately, I didn't take as many pictures as I usually do (I think having two cameras is throwing me off!) so I will simply mention how nice it was to spend time with people we enjoy. Jim walked over to our house one day and visited for a while. Steech stopped by for a short time on his way back from a hiking trip. Selena was over to play a few times, and one afternoon, Brett, the girls and I ventured upstairs to visit and eat a delicious brunch made by Evan and Merry.

Because it was so hot this week, when we weren't outside in the water, we spent a fair amount of time with the air conditioner on in the living room.

Bath-time outside.

Maya brushes her sisters' hair.

Ella is really interested in putting the puzzle pieces back in the puzzle these days. She tries so hard, and sometimes gets it! When this happens, she throws her hands up, smiles and says what sounds like "tada!"

There is a whole alphabet of foam letters to play with in the tub, but apparently, one of them is better than all the others.

We have been eating a lot of watermelon. Maya and Ella LOVE it so much. They devour whole slices and then won't give up the rind unless we offer an exchange for a new piece. After one particularly watermelon filled day, I made a rule that from now on, watermelon is only to be eaten while sitting at the table, or outside. We'll see how that goes.

Playing peek-a-boo!

We made our first batch of pesto with our very own basil! We hope to make a bunch more over the next few weeks so that we can have a lot in the freezer for the winter.

Laundry basket rides. I got this new dress at a thrift store this week. I really like it. Usually when I go to thrift stores, I end up finding baby toys and clothes, or games for Brett. It was a pleasant surprise to find something that I liked enough to get for myself.

On a grocery shopping trip, we decided to try out this cart. The girls didn't really like it, but they sure looked cute together for the few minutes before we changed to regular carts.

At the end of the week, on Tuesday evening, Brett and I went out on a date. We went out to dinner and then bowling, plus a quick stop for ice cream on the way home. We were gone from about 7:30 until 10:30 while Michaela babysat for the girls.

Even though we didn't leave until after they were asleep, the babies must have known that we were going out. Ella had a hard time going to sleep that night, which hasn't happened in a while, and then both girls woke up about an hour after we left, which also hardly ever happens. They were awake on and off for most of the time we were gone. When we got home, Ella was in the babysitter's arms, tears in her eyes, and very upset. Maya was fussing in her bed.

We were proud of ourselves for making the date happen, but it wasn't the easiest or most relaxing thing I've ever done. Even though part of me knows the babies will be okay and make it through (because I've done a lot of babysitting, too), it just doesn't feel right for us to be out while they are upset. I just don't like it. We will try going out at night again sometime soon. Hopefully next time they will stay asleep and it won't be so hard for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment