Monday, September 26, 2011

Baybay & Baybee: Week 6

Six weeks old!

This was a mixed week. We had a couple really good days, and a couple not so good days. Last Wednesday, all four of us were incredibly tired and Brett and I felt as if we were drowning. The amount of sleep we have been getting didn't feel sustainable and we had no energy to be nice. It wasn't a very fun day.

A very cranky Ella helps fold laundry.

Somehow we made it through Wednesday, and Thursday arrived. Kathy came to help out around the house and with the babies while Brett was headed to the house in Springfield to make some repairs. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to make the repairs at the house, due to some miscommunication, so he arrived home a little frustrated. At home, the girls hadn't napped much and even though Kathy was around to help, I still felt drained. I did get a little nap in just before Brett got home, which helped some.

Our new stroller! On his way home from Springfield, Brett picked up a double snap-n-go stroller that someone was selling on Craigslist. The car seats snap in and out of it, which will be useful for going places with both babies at once. The girls seemed to enjoy their first ride. They slept for most of it.

Thursday night, Maya and Ella didn't sleep as much as usual, and although there might not be any real explanation, we wonder if they were a bit chilly. It was a cold night for this time of year, with temperatures dropping into the 30ies. We had windows open when we went to bed (which we closed at some point in the night) because we didn't realize it was going to get so cold. When Friday morning came, I got up and got the twins to sleep in their car seats from 7-8:30 (while Brett slept in bed). Thankfully, they slept even more later in the morning while Brett went to train the person who is taking over his job at the school he used to work for. This gave me some time to rest, and Thursday ended up being a pretty good day.

Maya and Brett resting together.

We had a nice weekend with some relaxing home time and some fun outings. Saturday morning, after Selena very sweetly brought us raspberries and maple frosting donuts from the farmers market, I took a two-hour-long walk with the girls while Brett was in Springfield for the afternoon.

On Sunday, we started our morning out with a walk (as I write this, I'm realizing that we took a lot of walks this week!) twice around the block. Our motivation was to get some bread. Someone in our neighborhood recently started baking bread two times a week, and selling it from a little bread stand in his front yard. We got some delicious raisin, nut bread, did a little bit of work in the front garden, and took a nap before heading out again for the afternoon.

Nap time for Ella in the sun while we work in the garden.

Our afternoon was spent in Child's Park, where we attended a gathering of babies all born in the spring/summer of this year. There was a huge turn out from the group, with over 30 babies, including both of the other sets of twins! The babies brought their parents along and we got to catch up with folks we knew and meet a bunch of others! Some of the parents also brought clothing and toys that their kids had outgrown to give away. It was fun to get a couple of things for the girls. It was a little overwhelming with so many people and so many babies, but we had a lot of fun.

The twins all together!

Maya, Ella and Mama pose for a group picture.

The three Dads with their twin babies.

After our time in the park was over, we stopped by the Cup and Top Cafe to check out Jim's art opening for a few minutes before heading home.

Ella falls asleep in her friend Jim's arms.

I think that Monday was one of the best days we've had since the twins were born. The weather was beautiful. It was a perfectly cool, but sunny, Fall day, and we spent most of the morning and early afternoon walking to and from our appointments at NAP and the Midwifery Center. Both girls had their one month check up and I had my six week postpartum visit. The girls weighed 9 lbs 5 oz. each! This puts them in the 33rd percentile for weight. At my appointment, I was given a "perfectly healed" bill of health, which was exciting to hear. When we got home, I celebrated by taking a nap.

Our 3-mile round trip walk was so nice. Taking long walks with babies is one of the things that I always imagined I'd do a lot of when I became a Mama. It makes me feel so happy to finally be getting outside more. Brett carried Maya and I carried Ella. Both girls slept soundly the whole time.

A close up of Maya, snuggled up all cozy on Brett's chest.


  1. i'm so glad you are getting to take lots of walks. i did so much of that with you (and amber and timmy and toby) when you were babies. it's a lovely way to be together and to be outside at the same time.

    temps into the 30s, huh? hmm...guess we'll have to pack some warmer clothes when papa and i visit toward the end of october (or is it- octobrrrr!?).

  2. Eeek. The girls' sweaters are done. I've just been really lazy about sending them. :/ And now, seeing how much the babies have grown, I don't know if they'll fit! I'll try to send them out in the next week. :)