Monday, February 27, 2012

Baybay & Baybee: Week 28

28 weeks old!

Sleep! It was SO GOOD this week! We're not sure why, but this was definitely our best week of sleep yet. A few things have been different. Daytime sleep has been in longer chunks, lasting 1.5 -2.5 hours, compared to their usual 45 minutes naps. And they've been taking only two naps, instead of three or four. I'm not sure how this changed, it just sort of happened. Also, and this may be the biggest thing, the girls are learning how to put themselves back to sleep when they wake up. We've added a little more structure to the day recently, and have had a fairly constant bedtime of 6:30. On Thursday, in an attempt to find a diaper that would last the whole night, I got two Baby BeeHinds. That night they were in them for 12 hours. They fussed a whole bunch of times throughout the night, but mostly put themselves back to sleep on their own. This was our first time not changing them overnight. The diapers were very wet in the morning, but no leaks.

Friday they slept a lot better, and Sunday night they slept for 9.5 hours, from 6:30-4:00 without needing our help at all! I had to get up at 3:30 A.M. to pump a little milk because I was so uncomfortable. After I pumped, they were stirring and may have been able to go back to sleep on their own, but since I was up, I fed them and then we all went back to sleep until 6:30!

That was our best night. The following few went better than they had been before, but not great. I'm still feeding the girls at least once at night, sometimes two times, if they wake up in the very early morning before it's really time to get up for the day.

They are such pretty diapers - and so soft! We've been using the Flip covers (that Amber gave us) over them.

Ella fell asleep while Brett and I were watching a TV show. She was so cuddly that I didn't want to put her down.

Maya likes to "chew" on her thumb after nursing and sometimes when she's tired. She doesn't really suck on it, but I think it gives her some comfort anyway.

Ella has been saying "ma ma ma" all week long! I'm not sure she is saying it in reference to me, but rather just practicing the sound. It's still very sweet to hear. The big thing for Maya has been working on her moving skills! She can push up almost onto her hands and knees now, and she's figuring out how to scootch and pull/push her way around. She ends up moving backwards most of the time. I don't think that's what she intends to do, but that's what happens and she seems a little annoyed and frustrated by this. If she could talk she'd probably say something like, "Gah! I meant to go forward, darn it!"

She's on the move!

Sweet smiles. This was one of my favorite photos this week.

I got to go out on my own a few times, to do some shopping and poke around at the thrift store. We had a bunch of help/breaks from the babies this week. Selena took the girls for a walk in the stroller one day and Brett and I got to rest. Another time, Kathy came down and watched the girls while we went for a bike ride to the grocery store! We loaded up the tandem with food and had a great ride in the chilly air. Later that same day, Evan and Merry took the girls for a late afternoon walk.

Playing before their walk.

Tasty bracelet.

A great discovery this week was making meals in the slow cooker. I really embraced the CrockPot and used it almost every day! I would throw things together in there when the girls were napping in the morning and that evening we had dinner to eat. It was fantastic. I found a bunch of good recipes on this blog, and made up a few yummy soups on my own, using what we had around.

Maya and Ella have also been enjoying lots of food. We are keeping a list of the things they've tried on the refrigerator. So far, we are up to apple, banana, avocado, broccoli and peach. They love everything so far. Ella, especially, is quite taken with eating solids and practically inhales the food, while Maya contemplates each bite. Because of this difference, Ella has been eating twice as much. We bought two mesh feeders, which have been awesome! You can put anything in there with no worries about the babies choking, plus they get to feed themselves.

A bunch of shots of the girls with their mesh feeders:

The grass is always greener...

Extra pictures from the week!

Maya now rocks the mohawk.

About to smile.

Lazy day playing in the sun.

Maya wins the staring contest.

Exploring the texture of the mat.

This orange block was the coveted toy on Tuesday...

...both wanted it, really a lot...

...so I got another one out...

...but that didn't help much.

1 comment:

  1. They look like so much fun right now! I love how they are already playing and interacting with each other. It will just get more and more enjoyable the older they get. :)

    ReplyDelete